Engineering Learning Assistant Position Description
An Engineering Learning Assistant (ELA) is a trained advanced undergraduate who leads the instruction of Engineering 100 and serves as a peer advisor/mentor to the students in their ENG 100 section for the fall semester.
ENG 100 meets for the first eight weeks of the semester. Classes are 50 minutes and meet twice a week for the first four weeks, and once a week for the second four weeks.
- Engineering student in good academic standing
- Eligible to work in the US/ on campus
- Will have taken classes on UIUC campus (or an affiliated study abroad) for four semesters before Fall of appointment
- Documented leadership and involvement in University, department, and/or Engineering organizations
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Enthusiastic about sharing one’s experiences with first-year students
- Attend Launch (Engineering welcome event on Saturday, August 26, 2017).
- Instruct and facilitate one ENG 100 section of 20 students, following materials provided in training.
- Participate in weekly meetings with department
- Provide direction, guidance, and mentorship to students in their ENG 100 section during the fall
- ELA Training course during second 8 weeks of the Spring 2017 semester (1 credit hour course)
- Two training sessions in the Fall (paid)
6-8 hours / week (first eight weeks of the semester)
<5 hours / week (week 9 – end of the semester)
$9.00 / hour
Lead Engineering Learning Assistant(s)
Head Engineering Learning Assistants
IEFX Program Coordinator, Gretchen Forman