The Resident Advisor assumes an active leadership role in developing and maintaining a positive community environment within the IEFX Summer Scholars program. He or she serves as a role model and resource person in assisting students in their transition to the University of Illinois campus.
The job is estimated at approximately 10-12 hours per week, but fluctuates based on the needs of the students in the program. Please note: If you are registered for courses at any point during the summer you are limited to working no more than 28 hours/week inclusive of all jobs on campus.
Click here to learn more about the Summer Scholars program.
Expectations and Qualifications
- Engineering student with a minimum of 4 semesters at the university
- Good academic standing
- Eligible to work in the US/ on campus; employment contingent on background check
- Available as an RA from June 6th to August 5th
- Commits to residing at Nugent Hall for the entirety of the program.
- Serve as a role model/peer mentor
- Meet with small groups of students (approx. 5 groups of 4 students each) within in their given group, each week to discuss the student’s experience
- Develop positive relationships with all residents on their floor and know them on a personal yet professional level
- Maintain availability to residents on a daily basis and assist students in the evenings with concerns/emergencies.
- Identify and offer assistance to students who have personal, academic, health, or other concerns
- Support students’ transition to university life by providing workshops related to educational, social, and cultural needs of the students
- Enforce program policies and maintains standards of community behavior including addressing inappropriate behavior, and document incidents as necessary
- Report weekly to Summer Scholars Director to discuss upcoming schedule
RAs will be paid $10/hour (approximately 10-12 hours/week). Housing (Single room) will be provided at Nugent Hall. RAs will also have paid training sessions on June 6th and June 7th.
Director of Summer Scholars Program