The Program Advisor assumes an active leadership role in developing and maintaining a positive community environment within the IEFX Summer Scholars program. He or she serves as a role model and resource person in assisting students in their education and transition to the University of Illinois campus. He or she will also as a Learning Assistant within an IEFX elective course (Projects, Professional Development, or Research), under the supervision of the course instructors.
The job is estimated at approximately 20-25 hours/week. Please note: If you are registered for courses at any point during the summer you are limited to working no more than 28 hours/week inclusive of all jobs on campus.
Click here to learn more about the Summer Scholars program.
Expectations and Qualifications
- Engineering student
- Good academic standing
- Eligible to work in the US/ on campus
- Available as an PA from June 7th to August 6th
- Serve as a role model/peer mentor
- Meet with each student (approx. 12-15 students), within their given group, 4 times one on one to discuss each student’s experience
- Develop positive relationships with students in their IEFX elective and specifically within their mentor group
- Assist the instructor in the IEFX elective assigned, including any prep/grading requested by the instructor.
- Maintain availability to residents on a daily basis to assist students with academic, social, or cultural concerns.
- Identify and offer assistance to students who have personal, academic, health, or other concerns
- Serve as a tutor if necessary
- Enforce program policies and document incidents as necessary
- Support program activities, workshops, and tours
- Report weekly to Summer Scholars Director to discuss upcoming schedule
PAs will be paid $10/hour inclusive of mandatory paid training sessions on June 7th and June 8th.
Director of Summer Scholars Program